- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts for a double-crust pie
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef and onion in the hot skillet until meat is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. (Drain and discard grease.) Add 3/4 cup water, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cubes, oregano, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until combined, about 10 minutes.
- Mix 1/4 cup cold water and cornstarch together in a bowl to form a paste; stir into meat mixture. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Use a 4-inch biscuit cutter to cut the pie crusts into 12 circles. Line each muffin cup with a circle, pressing into the bottom and sides. Fill each with the meat mixture. Use a 3-inch biscuit cutter to cut puff pastry dough into 12 circles. Top each filled muffin cup with with a circle and seal edges together. Brush pastry tops with beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crusts are brown and flaky, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in pan before removing pies, about 10 minutes.
Australian Meat Pies, recipe