- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 pounds lean beef short ribs, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, cut into thick slices and separated into rings
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large, heavy, oven-safe pot or Dutch oven, and brown the ribs on all sides, about 5 minutes, working in batches if necessary. Sprinkle ribs with salt and black pepper as they brown. Transfer cooked ribs to paper towels to blot up extra oil.
- Stir the onion rings and carrots into the same pot, and cook and stir until the onions turn translucent and start to brown, about 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 more minute. Mix in tomato sauce, barbeque sauce, and beef broth; bring the sauce to a boil, and simmer for 1 minute to blend flavors. Stir in the browned ribs.
- Cover the pot, and bake in the preheated oven until the rib meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Turn the ribs occasionally while cooking. Season to taste with salt and black pepper before serving hot.
Barbeque Style Braised Short Ribs, recipe