- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine mushrooms and water in a bowl; soak until mushrooms are rehydrated, about 30 minutes. Drain mushrooms and reserve liquid; dice mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Season short ribs all over with salt and black pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook short ribs in hot oil until browned on all sides, 7 to 12 minutes. Transfer ribs to a Dutch oven.
- Return skillet to heat and saute onion with a pinch of salt in hot pan until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir mushrooms into onion mixture.
- Pour reserved mushroom liquid into skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir beef broth, tomato sauce, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf into onion mixture.
- Pour tomato mixture over short ribs into Dutch oven and cover Dutch oven with a lid.
- Cook short ribs in the preheated oven until short ribs are fork-tender, about 2 hours.
Short Ribs Braised with Mushrooms and Tomatoes, recipe