- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, or more to taste
- 1 pound baby shallots, peeled
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat and cook beef, onion, and garlic until meat is browned on all sides and onions are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, rosemary, salt and a good pinch of black pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until ingredients blend, about 3 minutes. Add wine and vinegar and stir to combine.
- Turn slow cooker to Low setting. Pour beef mixture into slow cooker and stir in ketchup.
- Cook on Low until beef is tender, 6 to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a skillet and cook shallots until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cooked shallots to stew for the last 1 to 2 hours of cooking.
- Remove and discard cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and rosemary sprig before serving.
beef stifado in the slow cooker, recipe