- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 2 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in an oven safe large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, and cook until the mushrooms have softened and released their liquid, about 5 minutes more. Stir in the sherry, and simmer for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, barley, and basil; bring to a boil over high heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and boil for 5 minutes.
- Cover the Dutch oven, and place into the preheated oven. Bake until the barley is tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in chopped parsley before serving.
Byrdhouse Mushroom Barley Pilaf, recipe