- 2 1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 ham bone with some meat
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1/2 large Spanish onion, diced
- 5 stalks celery, diced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, or to taste
- 8 cups water, or as needed
- Place split peas, ham bone, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper into a large pot; pour in water. Bring mixture to a boil and skim off any foam with a spoon. Reduce heat; place a lid on the pot slightly ajar to allow some evaporation. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and soup is thick, about 3 hours.
- Remove ham bone from soup; strip meat from ham bone, chop meat, and return it to the pot.
Canadian Yellow Split Pea Soup with Ham, recipe