- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce (optional)
- 3 potatoes, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- 1 carrot, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large wok over medium heat; add garlic. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook, mashing with a fork, until flesh and skin separate, about 5 minutes.
- Place chicken in the wok; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Pour in water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in tomato sauce; simmer until flavors combine, about 15 minutes.
- Mix potatoes into the wok; simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in bell pepper and carrot; simmer until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Chicken Afritada (Filipino Stew), recipe