- 6 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoning
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- Place water, salt and onion in a large pot. Add chicken and bring all to a boil; cook until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from pot and let cool. Remove skin and bones and chop remaining meat into bite size pieces.
- Skim off fat from cooking liquid and measure 3 1/2 cups of this chicken broth into a 6-quart saucepan. Add rice, chicken pieces, sausage, herb seasoning and bouillon to this saucepan. Cook all together for 30 minutes; let come to a boil, then reduce heat to low, keeping pan covered the whole time. If mixture is too watery or juicy, cook over medium low heat, uncovered, until it reaches the desired consistency. Stir often while cooking.
chicken bog, recipe