- 1 (16 ounce) package bean thread vermicelli noodles
- warm water, as needed
- 3 chicken breasts, or more to taste
- water, to cover
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 slices fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon patis (Philippine-style fish sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- Put bean thread noodles in a large bowl. Pour enough warm water over the noodles to cover by an inch. Soak noodles until softened, about 15 minutes; drain. Cut noodles into shorter lengths as desired.
- Put chicken breasts in a large pot with enough water to cover by a few inches; bring to a boil and cook chicken until until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 7 to 10 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove chicken breasts to a cutting board and shred into strands with 2 forks; return shredded chicken to the pot of boiling water.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot and reduce heat to medium-high; add onion, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, soy sauce, and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper. Bring liquid again to a boil and add the bean thread noodles; cook at a boil until the noodles are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir bok choy into the liquid; cook just until the leaves wilt slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Chicken Long Rice (Hawaiian-Style Chicken Soup), recipe