- 3 pounds chicken leg quarters
- 3 (32 ounce) cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian sea salt
- 1 (1/2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, sliced
- 1 large Maui sweet onion, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked bean threads (cellophane noodles)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small head bok choy, chopped
- Place chicken, chicken broth, salt, and ginger into a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink, about 35 minutes. Remove chicken, and strain broth into a new pot. Discard the solids.
- Fill a bowl with hot tap water. Add the long rice noodles, and let sit for 30 minutes to soften.
- Stir onion into the broth, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Meanwhile, remove the skin and bones from the chicken and discard. Roughly chop the meat and set aside. Add the noodles, chicken meat, green onion and bok choy; simmer until noodles are tender.
- After the noodles have sat for 30 minutes, stir in the chicken meat, green onion, and bok choy. Reheat and serve.
Chicken Long Rice Soup, recipe