- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 medium tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh shelled green peas
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- salt to taste
- 4 ounces manchego cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
- Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan, and stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place tomato halves, onion, and garlic in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Stirring occasionally, roast 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until evenly browned. Remove from heat, and allow to cool completely.
- Puree the roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor. Drain any remaining liquid from rice.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in serrano chili, and cook until tender. Place rice, pureed vegetables, peas, carrots, potato, and sour cream in the skillet. Season with cilantro and salt. Cook and stir until all vegetables are tender and rice is browned. Mix in manchego cheese to melt before serving.
Colorado Mexican Rice, recipe