- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups water
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Place jalapeno pepper on a baking sheet.
- Roast jalapeno pepper under the preheated broiler until skin is browned and blistered, 2 to 3 minutes per side Remove from oven and remove stem.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium-low heat; cook and stir rice in the hot oil until evenly browned and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Blend roasted jalapeno, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, chicken bouillon, lemon juice, and garlic in a blender until smooth; stir into the browned rice. Continuously stir mixture until rice has absorbed the liquid, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour water into rice mixture, continuously stirring until liquid boils. Boil for 1 minute. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is fully cooked, waiting at least 20 minutes before removing the lid. Remove rice from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Del Rio's Mexican Rice, recipe