- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Spanish saffron
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 sprig fresh cilantro (optional)
- Cook and stir rice and oil in a skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour chicken broth into rice mixture and bring to a boil; stir tomato, cumin, saffron, salt, and black pepper into broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Stir peas and carrots into cooked rice; garnish with cilantro.
Mamacita's Mexican Rice, recipe