- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 7 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 7 1/3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 baking pans.
- Place brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and coconut flakes in a microwave-safe container and heat until warm, about 2 minutes. Mix into a paste.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Whip egg whites in a metal bowl with a clean electric mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
- Beat 1/2 cup white sugar and 7 1/3 tablespoons butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add remaining 1/2 cup white sugar, cream of coconut, reserved pineapple juice, egg yolks, and vanilla extract; mix thoroughly. Add the flour mixture; stir batter slowly until fully combined. Fold in the whipped egg whites using a spatula.
- Spread the brown sugar paste over the bottoms of the prepared pans. Arrange pineapple chunks on top. Pour in the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tops are brown and crisp and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool, about 25 minutes. Flip cakes over onto a serving plate and out of the baking pans.
cream of coconut pineapple upside-down cake, recipe