- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can escargots, cut in half, save the liquid
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour, and cook for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in the green onion, and cook for 1 minute more. Pour in the chicken broth, celery, parsley, and pepper; bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Dissolve the cornstarch in a little milk, and add to the simmering soup along with the remaining milk. Cook, whisking frequently, until the soup has thickened and has returned to a simmer, about 8 minutes.
- Whisk in the sour cream and the liquid from the can of escargots; return to a bare simmer, and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the halved escargots, and cook for 1 minute more until warm.
Creamy Escargot Soup, recipe