- 1 large potato - peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 12 cups spinach - rinsed, stemmed, and dried
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (8 ounce) carton nonfat sour cream
- Place the potato in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender. Drain, and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot. Add the green onions, and cook until tender. Stir in the cooked potatoes, then gradually mix in the spinach, stirring after each addition until spinach is limp. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the same pan, and whisk in the flour and curry powder. Gradually whisk in broth so that no lumps form. Return the spinach mixture to the pan, stirring to blend, along with the lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Place sour cream in a medium bowl. Ladle about 1 cup of the hot soup into the sour cream, and mix until well blended. Stir this back into the pot of soup. Heat through, but do not allow to boil. Serve immediately.
Curried Spinach Soup, recipe