- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry paste
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 pound lentils
- 3 cups water, more if needed
- 3/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Heat olive oil and curry paste in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion, carrot, celery, red bell pepper, and red pepper flakes until onion is softened and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Break the bouillon cubes into onion mixture; add lentils and stir.
- Pour enough water into the pot, so the water line is 1 inch above the lentil and onion mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils are fully cooked, about 40 minutes. Stir spaghetti sauce into the soup and simmer 5 minutes. Stir cilantro and black pepper into soup right before serving.
Deception Pass Curried Lentil Soup, recipe