- Apple and Brie Filling:
- 3 Fuji apples - peeled, cored, and diced small
- 1/2 pound Brie cheese, cut into very small pieces
- 20 vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Funnel Cake Batter:
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- oil for frying
- 20 vanilla wafers, crushed, or more as needed
- Stir apples, Brie cheese, 20 crushed vanilla wafers, honey, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 15 minutes.
- Beat egg until frothy in a large bowl with an electric mixer. Gradually add flour, milk, confectioners' sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; beat until batter is thick and smooth, adding more flour as necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Pour 20 crushed vanilla wafers into a shallow bowl.
- Roll apple mixture into small balls. Drop balls into funnel cake batter and turn to coat completely. Roll coated balls in crushed vanilla wafers. Place the coated apple balls onto a plate while coating the rest; do not stack.
- Working in batches, fry apple-brie bites in hot oil until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer cooked apple-brie bites to a paper-towel lined plate to drain and cool.
Deep-Fried Apple and Brie Bites, recipe