- 6 cups water
- 1 cup pickling salt
- 6 cups distilled white vinegar
- 8 heads fresh dill weed
- 1/2 cup pickling spice
- 1/2 cup mustard seed
- 8 dried red chile peppers
- 16 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon alum
- 5 pounds fresh green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- Sterilize 8 (1 pint) jars in boiling water for at least 5 minutes.
- Combine the water, pickling salt and vinegar in a large pot, and bring to a boil. When it begins to boil, reduce heat to low, and keep at a simmer while you pack the jars.
- In each jar place the following: 1 head of dill, 1 tablespoon of pickling spice, 1 tablespoon of mustard seed, 1 dried chile pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of alum. Pack beans into the spiced jars in a standing position.
- Ladle the hot brine into jars, leaving 1/2 inch of space at the top. Screw the lids onto the jars, and process in a hot water bath for 6 minutes to seal. Store for at least 2 weeks before eating.
Dilly Beans, recipe