- 1 russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can crab meat, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wrap potato cubes in plastic wrap, and microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- In a saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until heated through, and add chopped onions. Cook and stir until onions are clear. Stir in crab meat and parsley flakes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat. Whisk in flour until mixture becomes creamy and takes on a eggshell color. Continue to cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine. Dissolve chicken bouillon in milk; when the flour mixture is crumbly, slowly whisk in the milk. Mix well in order to eliminate all lumps.
- When the mixture is creamy and hot, stir in bacon mixture, cubed potatoes, and creamed corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- For a creamy curry variation add 2 tablespoons curry powder after adding the wine to the flour mixture, and substitute cooked, cubed chicken for the bacon.
Easy Corn and Crab Chowder, recipe