- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds baby bella (crimini) mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1/3 cup Marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (17.3 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-fat cooking spray.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and onions, stirring occasionally, until liquid from the mushrooms has cooked down, about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and thyme and simmer 2 minutes.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a separate saucepan. Whisk in flour and stir constantly for about 1 minute. Gradually add the Swanson(R) Chicken Broth, Marsala, and half-and-half, whisking until sauce is smooth and thickened, about 3 minutes. The sauce should be very thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mushroom mixture to the sauce broth/Marsala mixture; stir well.
- Roll out one sheet of puff pastry to fit the pie plate. Press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate; trim the excess pastry. Spoon the mushroom mixture into the pastry shell.
- Roll out the second sheet of puff pastry, and place on top. Trim excess, and crimp the edge to seal. Cut a few slits in the top for steam to escape. Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown and mushroom mixture is bubbly, about 40 minutes. Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving.
Elegant Mushroom Pie Recipe, recipe