- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- Stir salt, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, ginger, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl; add ground beef and mix well.
- Pass beef mixture through a meat grinder set with the finest blade.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Place wire-racks onto baking sheets.
- Place 1/2 ground beef mixture between two sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, level surface. Firmly roll beef mixture to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap, invert beef mixture onto prepared baking sheet, and remove the bottom layer of plastic wrap. Repeat for remaining beef mixture.
- Bake beef mixture in the preheated oven with the oven door slightly ajar for 2 1/2 hours. Rotate the baking sheet. Bake until jerky is cooked through, another 3 hours. Remove jerky from oven and cut into strips while warm.
Ground Beef Jerky, recipe