- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 8 canned sliced pineapple rings (drain and reserve juice)
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 2 canned sliced pineapple rings, chopped
- 12 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup reserved pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour the melted butter into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter.
- Arrange 8 pineapple rings in two rows in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the macadamia nuts, half of the flaked coconut, and 2 chopped pineapple slices between the rows of pineapple rings.
- Place a maraschino cherry in each pineapple ring, then scatter the remaining cherries over the coconut mixture. Set baking dish aside.
- Whisk together the pineapple juice, coconut water, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in the mashed banana, yellow cake mix, and remaining flaked coconut until well blended.
- Slowly pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then run a paring knife between the cake and the edge of the pan.
- Cover the cake pan with a large serving plate, and invert it to tip the cake out of the pan and onto the plate with the pineapple slices showing.
Hawaiian Pineapple Upside Down Cake, recipe