- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion, peeled and root trimmed
- water to cover
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
- salt to taste
- Place chicken and whole onion into the bottom of a large pot. Pour enough water over the chicken to cover completely. Put peppercorns in a metal tea ball; add to the pot.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the chicken until no longer pink and is falling off the bone, 40 to 60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Remove chicken from the broth with a slotted spoon to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- Remove the onion and give it a squeeze to get as much of the flavor as possible. Discard the onion.
- Stir carrots, parsnips, and celery into the broth; bring to a boil and cook vegetables until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard peppercorns.
- While the vegetables boil, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain. Divide between 6 soup bowls.
- Remove meat from chicken and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size chunks and stir into vegetable mixture with parsley. Season with salt. Ladle soup over noodles to serve.
Home Made Chicken Noodle Soup!, recipe