- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bunch (1-inch) pieces green onions
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Maggi™ liquid seasoning
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vinegar-based hot pepper sauce
- 2 recipes pie crust pastry
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, tomato sauce, green onions, soy sauce, Maggi seasoning, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. You may need to use your hands. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Roll out the pie crust dough to 1/8 inch thickness, and cut into 6 inch circles using a large coffee can. Place a heaping tablespoon or slightly more of the meat mixture into the center of the circle, and fold over to make a half circle shape. Crimp the edges together using the tines of a fork, and place the pies on baking sheets. The pies may also be frozen at this point. Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl using a fork. Brush the egg wash over the tops of the pies.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. If you are baking frozen pies, add an additional 10 minutes.
Jamaican Patties, recipe