- 7 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomato
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (13.75 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring the tomatoes, carrots, and onion to a boil over medium-high heat in a stockpot, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, sugar, and salt.
- Melt the butter over medium-low heat in a small saucepan. Whisk in the flour, stirring until thick. Slowly whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook and stir, whisking constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes, then stir milk mixture in to the stockpot. Season with basil, celery salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Continue to simmer the soup on low to reduce and thicken, about 1 hour.
Jersey Fresh Tomato Soup, recipe