- 6 large tomatoes - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Combine tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, and celery in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir until fragrant, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat and cook until green bell pepper and onion are soft, about 5 minutes more. Stir in sugar, salt, oregano, basil, and pepper.
- Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir into the skillet. Simmer tomato mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes.
Jersey Fresh Stewed Tomatoes, recipe