- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 leek (white and light green part only), thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water, or more if needed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 zucchini, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch kale, leaves stripped from stems and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Blend contents of 1 can cannellini beans with its liquid in a blender until pureed.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir celery, carrots, Spanish onion, and leek in hot oil until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes; add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Stir farro into the vegetable mixture; add water, pureed cannellini beans, the drained cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, zucchini, tomato paste, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Stir the mixture well and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the pot, and simmer until the farro is tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir kale, salt, and pepper into the stew. Add more water to the stew if needed to keep everything covered in liquid and continue cooking until the kale is bright green and fully tender, about 30 minutes more.
Kale, White Bean, and Farro Stew, recipe