- 1/4 cup warm water (100 degrees F/38 degrees C)
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Pour the warm water into a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle yeast over the water. Allow to stand until the yeast begins to form a creamy foam, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk, white sugar, pumpkin, olive oil, and egg. Mix until thoroughly combined. Mix in 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, then add about 5 cups of flour, or as needed to make a stiff dough. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Dough will be slightly sticky. Form the dough into a ball, place into an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes. (The dough will rise, but it won't double.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Punch down the dough, and roll it out to a rectangle shape on a floured work surface until it measures about 18 inches wide and 26 inches long. Brush the dough with 1/4 cup melted butter. Mix the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice in a small bowl, and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the dough. Roll up the dough the long way, and pinch the seam closed, then cut the dough into 12 equal-sized pieces with a sharp knife. Lay the rolls into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- While the rolls are baking, mix vanilla extract, cream cheese, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, confectioners' sugar, and milk together to make a glaze. Spread the glaze over the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.
Kelsandra's Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, recipe