- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup finely minced onion
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely minced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pound ground lamb
- cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Combine eggplant, olive oil, salt and black pepper in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until eggplant begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in minced onion and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until onion softens, 4 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and marinara sauce. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce mixture has reduced by half, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk bread crumbs, egg, and Greek yogurt in a large bowl until the bread crumbs absorb all the liquid, about 3 minutes.
- Mix onions, garlic, Kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and coriander into the bread crumb mixture.
- Crumble lamb into bread crumb spice mixture; stir in cayenne pepper.
- Form lamb mixture into small meatballs and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Place baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake until browned, but still pink inside, about 10 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and stir into simmering sauce. Simmer over low heat until sauce begins to thicken, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh mint.
Little Lamb Meatballs in a Spicy Eggplant Tomato Sauce, recipe