- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; oil lightly.
- Combine bread crumbs and milk in a small bowl. Soak bread crumbs until milk is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Combine bread crumb mixture, lamb, egg, garlic, olive oil, tomato paste, rosemary, cumin, salt, oregano, black pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl.
- Form lamb mixture into 2-inch meatballs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook meatballs in the preheated oven until they are slightly browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Combine meatballs, tomato sauce, chicken stock, fresh mint, and red pepper flakes in a large sauce pan over medium heat until meatballs are no longer pink inside, about 45 minutes.
Lamb Meatballs and Sauce, recipe