- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 6 cups white mushrooms, halved if large
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Combine pearl barley and boiling water in a bowl; set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion, celery, and carrot in hot oil until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir mushrooms into the onion mixture; cook and stir until softened and brown, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the barley, discarding any remaining water from soaking. Stir the barley into the mushroom mixture.
- Stir the garlic and tomato paste into the mixture, stir until combined, then pour the beef stock into the sauce pan. Season with the oregano, salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer for 1 hour.
Low 'N Slow Mushroom Barley Soup, recipe