- 1 gallon water
- 3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon (such as Knorr®)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt (such as Season-All®)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 10 small baby potatoes
- 5 large carrots, sliced diagonally
- 5 stalks celery, sliced diagonally
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups thickly shredded green cabbage
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges (optional)
- 2 avocados, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Pour water into a large stockpot over high heat. Stir in 3 cups tomato sauce, yellow onion, chicken bouillon, garlic, and 1 tablespoon dried oregano. Bring broth to a slow boil.
- Combine ground beef, eggs, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, white rice, 1/4 cup cilantro, seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cumin in a large bowl. Squeeze mixture with your hands until thoroughly mixed.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of beef mixture and form in a ball. Lower gently into boiling broth. Repeat with remaining beef mixture.
- Stir potatoes, carrots, and celery into the broth. Cover and simmer until meatballs and potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in zucchini and cabbage. Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and garnish with avocado and 1/4 cup cilantro.
Mama's Old-Fashioned Albondigas (Meatball Soup), recipe