- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil (optional)
- 1 pinch white pepper (optional)
- Beat the egg and salt together in a bowl until well mixed. In a separate bowl, combine the tapioca flour with the cold water and stir to dissolve.
- Bring the chicken broth, ginger, and garlic to a full rolling boil, remove from the heat, and stir in the dissolved tapioca starch. Boil until the soup has thickened and is no longer cloudy, about 1 minute; remove from the heat. Pour the egg into the soup in a thin line, and gently stir the egg in a figure 8 shape, making sure not to overmix the egg too much. Sprinkle the soup with the chopped onions, sesame oil, and white pepper, and serve.
One-Egg Egg Drop Soup, recipe