- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup whey protein powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark (grade B) maple syrup (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Grease waffle iron evenly.
- Place coconut into a blender and pulse several times; blend until coconut becomes a fine powder. Combine coconut, almond flour, whey protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Mix together 1/2 cup mashed banana, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Separate the whites from the yolks of the 2 eggs; transfer all 3 egg whites to a metal bowl. Mix 2 egg yolks into the banana mixture. Beat egg whites until foamy using an electric mixer, beating until stiff peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form sharp peaks.
- Pour banana mixture into almond flour mixture and stir until combined. Mix in 1/3 of the egg white mixture until combined; gently fold in remaining 2/3 egg white mixture, preserving as much volume as possible.
- Ladle batter into preheated waffle iron in the amount recommended by manufacturer. Close lid and cook waffle until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Top waffles with remaining 1 mashed banana.
paleo protein banana waffles, recipe