- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 pint buttermilk, shaken vigorously
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- cooking spray
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until soft peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak.
- Beat egg yolks, buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter together with a whisk in a large bowl until smooth; add flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, salt, and cloves. Stir the mixture with the whisk just until you have a smooth batter.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter just until combined.
- Prepare cooking surfaces of your waffle iron with cooking spray. Ladle about 2/3 cup batter into the prepared iron and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes.
Perfect Pumpkin Spice Waffles, recipe