- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) package spicy ground pork sausage
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Ranch-style salad dressing
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch white sugar
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft. Add sausage, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, Ranch dressing and milk. Stir in shredded cheese. Season with hot sauce, salt, pepper and sugar.
- Spread sausage mixture in the bottom of crust. Cover with egg mixture, and shake lightly to remove air, and to level contents.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until filling is puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven, prick top with a knife, and let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Quiche (Southern Egg Pie), recipe