- 4 eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- coarse salt
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 1/2 ounces diced cooked ham
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place eggplant on paper towels; cover with coarse salt. Let sit until moisture is drawn out, about 1 hour. Rinse with cold water; dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add eggplant; cook and stir until eggplant is tender and lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared baking pan with half of the eggplant; layer on ham, mozzarella cheese, and basil. Top with remaining eggplant.
- Whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; pour over the top eggplant layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until eggs are set and top is golden, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly, about 10 minutes. Flip the pan onto a plate to remove the quiche.
aubergine quiche (eggplant quiche), recipe