- 2 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 (4 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup (such as Campbell's® Healthy Request)
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 ounce) packet dry onion gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Mix ground beef, chopped onion, celery, milk, chopped mushrooms, and panko together in a large bowl; shape into 10 patties.
- Mix all-purpose and whole wheat flours together in a wide, shallow bowl. Dredge patties in the flour mixture just to coat and move to a platter, taking care to not stack the patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook patties in hot oil until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Arrange browned patties in a slow cooker crock.
- Heat remaining oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir sliced mushrooms and sliced onion in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir cooked mushroom and onion mixture with cream of mushroom soup, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, onion gravy mix, and black pepper together in a bowl until smooth; pour over the beef patties in the slow cooker.
- Cook on High until patties are very firm, hot, and grey in the center, 3 to 3 1/2 hours (or on Low for 4 to 5 hours). An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Salisbury Steak Slow Cooker-Style, recipe