- 1 pound spicy ground pork sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (2 ounce) package dried beef, shredded
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and minced
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Place spicy ground pork sausage, onion and dried beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until sausage is evenly brown and onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix sauerkraut, prepared mustard, parsley, cream cheese and garlic salt with the sausage mixture. Cover and chill in the refrigerator approximately 2 hours.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place flour in a small bowl. Blend milk and egg together in another small bowl. Place seasoned bread crumbs in a medium bowl.
- Roll the chilled sausage mixture into 1 inch balls. Dredge sausage balls one at a time in flour, the egg and milk mixture and the bread crumbs.
- In small batches deep fry sausage balls in the preheated oil until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve warm, or freeze for later use.
Sauerkraut Sausage Balls, recipe