- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 6 slices American cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook and stir garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Break ground turkey into the pot. Cover pot with lid and cook meat until browned on the outside, 2 to 3 minutes. With a slivered wooden spoon, break meat up into very small pieces; continue to cook and stir until nearly completely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir tomato, onion, green bell pepper, parsley, and red pepper flakes into the turkey mixture; season with salt and black pepper; cook until the tomato softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add tomato past and lemon juice; stir to coat vegetables with tomato paste. Cover pot with lid, reduce heat to low, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Serve on toasted hamburger buns topped with cheese.
Sloppy Joe with Ground Turkey, recipe