- 2 16-inch square sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/3 cup dry grits
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 dashes liquid smoke flavoring, or to taste (optional)
- Fold each sheet of aluminum foil in half lengthwise, then fold in half lengthwise again, to make 2 strips of foil 4 inches wide by 16 inches long. Place the strips into the bottom of a slow cooker in a cross, so that the long ends of the strips come partway up the inside of the cooker (to make lifting handles). Spray the inside of the slow cooker and the foil strips with cooking spray.
- Mix together the ground beef, pork sausage, egg whites, grits, onion powder, garlic powder, ketchup, and liquid smoke flavoring until thoroughly combined, and form into a rounded loaf. Gently place the loaf into the slow cooker on top of the crossed foil strips.
- Cover the cooker, set on Low, and cook for 5 to 6 hours. To serve, carefully hold the ends of the foil strips, and gently lift the meat loaf from the cooker by the foil handles to place on a serving platter for slicing.
Slow Cooker Sausage 'n' Grits Meatloaf, recipe