- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans, drained
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 (1 pound) loaf day-old bread, torn into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a large bowl. Stir in the ranch-style beans, corn and Cheddar cheese. Season with cumin, paprika, oregano, salt, pepper and hot sauce, and mix well. Add the bread cubes to the mixture and stir to distribute the cheese and beans.
- Allow to set for about 20 minutes, until the bread has absorbed the liquid. Stir occasionally, and add more milk if necessary to make the bread moist, but not soggy. Pour into the prepared baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Let stand a few minutes before slicing and serving.
southwest strata, recipe