- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 cups water
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 green chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 potatoes, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (11 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
- 1/4 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons mixed spice
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- paprika, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, boil the chicken in 5 cups water for approximately 30 minutes. Drain, retaining liquid, and chop the chicken.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, place approximately 2 tablespoons reserved liquid, onions, garlic and green chile pepper. Slowly cook and stir 5 minutes, or until tender. One at a time, while gradually adding the remaining liquid, mix in the chopped chicken, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, tomato puree, sweet corn, cabbage, carrots and celery. Pour in any remaining liquid, and stir in the chicken bouillon and mixed spice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, stir in the heavy cream, mixing thoroughly. Serve with a sprinkling of paprika.
sunday lunch soup, recipe