- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 packet dry white sauce mix
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix cracker crumbs, ground beef, egg, nutmeg, and allspice with the onion until blended. Shape into 1 1/2 inch (4 centimeter) meatballs, and place in a glass baking dish. Sprinkle with minced garlic, and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make white sauce, following the directions on the packet. Stir in dill, sage, flour, and whipping cream.
- Turn off oven, and remove foil cover from meatballs. Pour sauce over meatballs, and leave in hot oven for 10 minutes.
Swedish Meatballs, recipe