- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place a drip pan on lowest shelf to catch pie juices.
- To Make Topping: In a medium bowl, mix until fluffy the 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup flour, butter, and nutmeg.
- Place cleaned strawberries in a deep bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and cornstarch. Gently coat berries with this mixture; be careful not to crush berries.
- Pour berries into prepared pie crust mounding them in the middle; mounding is necessary as the berries will sink as they bake. Cover berries with crumb topping and top crumbs with about 15 pea-sized blobs of butter. Wrap edges of pie crust with foil to prevent burning.
- Bake pie in preheated oven for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 40 minutes. When there are 10 minutes left of baking, sprinkle a little extra sugar over crumb topping and then finish baking.
The Old Boy's Strawberry Pie, recipe