- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold, cubed Gay Lea Salted Butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Gay Lea Salted Butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 canister Gay Lea Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- Toasted coconut
- Crust: Pulse flour with cocoa,1/3 cup sugar, coconut and salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until finely crumbed. Whisk 1 egg yolk with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ice water; pulse into flour mixture until it clumps together.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom and 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) up the sides of a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. Prick with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake, on a lower rack, for 15 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.
- Filling: Whisk milk with 2/3 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until thickened. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture into 2 beaten egg yolks. Whisk back into remaining milk. Cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Line cooled shell with bananas. Pour hot filling over top to cover bananas completely. Cool to room temperature; chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Just before serving, remove ring and arrange on serving platter. Pipe coconut whipped cream to cover custard completely and garnish with toasted coconut.
The Ultimate Chocolate Coconut Banana Cream Pie, recipe