- 1 head napa cabbage, shredded and rinsed
- 1 small radish, cubed
- coarse salt to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small white onion
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup water, or as needed
- 1 ripe persimmon, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 3 medium green onions, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Place cabbage and radish in a large colander. Sprinkle liberally with salt and mix to combine. Set aside for 1 hour. Add additional salt, mix, and set aside 1 hour more. Rinse cabbage and let drain.
- Meanwhile, combine garlic, onion, ginger, and rice vinegar in a blender. Add water and blend aromatic mixture on high power.
- Transfer drained cabbage to a large bowl and add aromatic mixture. Add persimmon, cucumber, green onions, and red pepper flakes and mix well.
- Transfer kimchi to airtight containers and refrigerate for 3 days.
traditional kimchi, recipe