- 1 (8 ounce) container tofu, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) tube prepared polenta
- olive oil
- 2 bananas, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup black beans, undrained
- 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 large mango - peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Grease a baking sheet.
- Slice the tofu and polenta into slabs of equal thickness; brush with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet.
- Cook the tofu and polenta under the preheated broiler until the tops are crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bananas in the oil until crispy on the outside, yet soft on the inside, about 5 minutes. Remove the bananas from the oil and set aside.
- Pour the entire can of black beans into a blender and blend until a thick sauce forms.
- Stir the mango, diced onion, jalapeno pepper, and salt together in a small bowl.
- To build the arepas, place a slice of polenta on each of four plates and top each with first about 1/4 of the bean sauce, then a piece of tofu, a few slices of banana, some avocado, and finishing with about 1/4 of the mango salsa.
Vegan Arepas Made with Polenta, recipe