- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- cooking spray
- 4 large green bell peppers - tops, seeds, and membranes removed
- water to cover
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large white mushrooms, sliced
- Combine broth, water, and bay leaf in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in tomato paste, parsley, salt, paprika, oregano, basil, and thyme.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat a 10x15-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Cut a thin slice from the bottom of each green bell pepper so it stands upright, if necessary. Fill a 4-quart Dutch oven with enough water to cover the peppers and bring to a boil. Add peppers and cook until tender but firm, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; saute until tender, about 6 minutes. Add the cooked quinoa; cook and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add mushrooms. Spoon mixture into peppers and place into the prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven until peppers are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Vegan Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers, recipe